Sunday, February 15, 2009

Homeland-Michelle Frost

Within my soul, within my mind, there lies a place I cannot find.
Home of my heart, land of my birth, smoke coloured stone, flame coloured earth.
Electric skies, shivering heat, blood red clay beneath my feet.
At night, when finally alone, I close my eyes and I am home.
I kneel and touch the blood warm sand and feel the pulse beneath my hand.
Of ancient life, too old to name, in ancient land too wild to tame.

How can I show you what I feel?

How can I make this essence real?

I search for words in dumb frustration, and try to form some explanation.
But how can heart and soul be caught in one-dimensional written thought?
If life and longing are a fire and man consumed by his desire
Then this love is no simple flame that mortal thought can hold or tame.
As deep within the Earths own core, the love of home burns evermore.
For what is home, I hear them say

This never was yours anyway.
You have no birthright to this place, descended from another race!
An immigrant? A pioneer? You are no longer welcome here.

Whoever said that love made sense?

I love is an imperfect tense.

To love in vain has been mans fate, from history to present date.
I have no grounds for dispensation, I know I have no home or nation.
For just one moment in the night, I am complete, my soul takes flight.
For just one moment, then it's gone.
And I am once again undone.
Never complete, never whole,
White skin and an African Soul.

5 comments:

  1. Never complete, never whole,
    White skin and an African Soul.

    i love this you black mama jumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sez you truly really honestly amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sembi

    I'm glad you like my poem and I like the way you've played with the layout. :-) For the record, I called it Homeland and my name is Michelle Frost. I wrote it about Zimbabwe, but most people who've ever been displaced seem to understand the connection to home, regardless of where.

    If you want to read more about this poem, or more of my other poems, you can find them on my blog - http://hhomeland-africansoul.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sembi

    Sorry I've taken long to reply to your reply on my blog. I've pasted it here, so you'll find it easily. You said:

    "Hey Michelle,

    I happened to stumble on this poem when I was 12 and being thrown across the globe. I constantly go back to it because you have managed to capture Home in such a meaningful way, it never ceases to warm my heart. As you can see, it is used as a constant source of inspiration for both myself and my friends.

    I am an art student in Malaysia now (My latest home ;)) And want to ask your permission to use this as the basis of my Final exam? I am hoping to centre my project around "White skin and an African soul"

    Sembi

    As long as the poem isn't altered and my name is on it as author you are welcome to quote it for your exam. It has already been used twice at universities (artwork in Glasgow and poetry recital in Germany) and once for a thesis (UNISA). I have no problem with it being used academically, as long as my copyright as author is acknowledged. (which you still need to add to this blog post, please)

    best regards
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings Michelle - We came across your poems some time ago and LOVED them. I am the project Manager for a proposed book specifically for the KFR group (Kenya Friends Reunited) and would like your permission to use them in a chapter on African poetry. If you need more information - I would be happy to answer any questions. Thanking you in advance. Jill

    ReplyDelete